Since we went through the Whole 30 program, Skip and I have found that limiting sugar and gluten in our diet just makes us feel better. When we want a treat, especially on days like today, I have tried to find ways to indulge without all the guilt.
So, I found a wonderful no-grain recipe for the crust and used a touch of maple syrup and apple juice to sweeten the recipe a bit… but other than that- this is truly a no-guilt dessert recipe and it is absolutely delicious (not to mention EASY as pie… pardon the pun)!
I made 3 small personal cobblers with this recipe:
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup fresh apple juice (not from concentrate, no sugar added)
- 3 tablespoons arrow-root (or corn starch)
- Mix the above ingredients in a bowl and divide evenly into your 3 cobbler dishes.
- In your food processor mix:
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 TBSP coconut flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup grass fed butter
- 1 tsp for sweet pies or ½ for savory maple sugar (I used maple syrup)
- ½ tsp fine grain sea salt
3. Pulse it in the food processor a few times until crumbly, then add 1 large egg and pulse until it forms a dough.
4. Mine was a little sticky so I dipped my hands in tapioca flour and formed 3 golf ball sized balls with some still left over for next time. I flattened the balls in the palm of my hand until I got the thickness I wanted (about a 1/4 of an inch) and laid them over the top of the blueberry mixtures in each dish.
I saved the rest for another time.
5. Bake it at 375º until the blueberries are bubbly…about 45 minutes.